Built from 1880–1884, the Tappmeyer house was located on Olive Street Road just west of Ross Avenue on a 33-acre working farm that produced wheat, corn, alfalfa, and clover hay. The Tappmeyer farm also had livestock—mules, horses, cattle, pigs, and chickens—and a large orchard and vegetable garden.
For over 100 years, four generations of Tappmeyers lived in the house, an example of the ornate Victorian Italianate architecture popular at the time. Wagonloads of potatoes were driven to the City of St. Louis, returning with the lumber needed to construct the house. The labor for construction was $260 plus room and board for the carpenter and his helper.
The house was moved to Millennium Park in 2003. Today, the home has period-appropriate furnishings on the first floor, which has been restored and is open to the public for exhibits, tours, and functions. Tappmeyer descendants still live in the area.