NOTICE: PERMITTING AND
INSPECTION PROCEDURE CHANGES
Applying for Permits
- Applying for permits can now be performed in person at the Building Division counter at the Government Center. All visitors to the Government Center are encouraged to sign in as they enter and are required to maintain social distancing. The wearing of a mask is required. All staff members that interact with the public are required to maintain social distancing and wear a mask. There are separated tables for applicants to complete application forms in the lobby. Boxes in the lobby are available to drop off permit applications and plans. All documents are subject to a 24-hour quarantine; therefore, Staff will not be handling any documents until after the quarantine period.
- All necessary application forms are available within the lobby.
- Plan reviews are being done in house. The plans examiners will continue to respond to emails and their desk phones have been transferred to their cell phones. Plan review comments will be made via email to the applicant. The applicant may request a video conference with their plans examiner to discuss their plan review comments.
- All required inspections are currently being performed.
- For residential inspections, City inspectors are not permitted to enter an occupied home where residents are sick, under quarantine, or if there may be other reasons to believe that it is unsafe to complete the inspection.
- On the job-site, City inspectors are required to wear a mask, to avoid touching any surfaces and will maintain social distancing while performing the inspections. Please note, the City inspector may direct the contractor to prepare an area for the inspection in advance prior to entering the premises so that their time is limited on the site.
Receiving Approved Permits and Making Payments
- Applicants will be notified via email or phone when their permit is ready to be picked up. Approved permits can be picked up in person at the Government Center
- Two forms of payment options are accepted for the fees listed below.
- For required escrows and applications fees, you will need two separate checks made payable to City of Creve Coeur.
- Effective October 5, 2016, credit cards (we only accept MasterCard/Visa/Discover) are now accepted with a 3.4% convenience fee added to each transaction.
**All credit card escrow payment will be refunded via a City of Creve Coeur check, we are unable to credit the card back.**
Property Maintenance/Code Enforcement Concerns
- The City will continue to respond to property maintenance concerns. Please call (314) 442-2085 to report a property maintenance issue.
Apartment Re-Occupancy Inspections
- Currently, the City is performing re-occupancy inspections for vacant apartment units. As with any inspection within a residential unit, the City inspector will take extra precautionary measures while performing the inspection, including wearing a mask and maintaining social distancing.
- The city will NOT make apartment re-occupancy inspections for any apartment dwelling units that have been re-occupied prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy by the city.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to call or email City staff if they have any questions before coming to the Government Center.For building permit and code enforcement questions, please call (314) 872-2500 or e-mail
The Building Division is responsible for enforcement of the city's building, residential-mechanical, property maintenance, nuisance and zoning codes.
Primary Building Division activities include:
- Ensuring that life safety codes and professional construction methods are adhered to during the construction process
- Administering and coordinating all aspects of the residential and commercial building permit submittal, plan review, permit issuance, field inspections and escrow release processes
- Ensuring that all residential and commercial properties are in compliance with the city's exterior property maintenance, nuisance and sign codes, Complaint Line (314) 442-2085
- Ensuring that St. Louis County provides quality permit issuance and field inspection services as they pertain to all electrical, plumbing and commercial mechanical work completed within the city
- 2015 IBC-International Building Code
- 2015 IECC-International Energy Conservation Code
- 2015 IPMC-International Property Maintenance Code
- 2015 IRC-International Residential Code
- 2015 ISPSC-International Swimming Pool and Spa Code